Friday, November 8, 2013

NaNoWriMo: Week the First

Ah, so it comes to the end of our first week in NaNoWriMo.

Things are going pretty well in this corner of the world. My characters are fascinating me, and the story is moving along at a nice pace. My biggest two troubles are that I neglected to do any hard writing yesterday and a several hundred words behind for today. Guess what I'll probably be doing at twelve tonight? The second trouble is that fact that my 'M' key on the computer keyboard is not working as well as it should and so I am continuosly going back to fix words that are misspelled.

All in all, Week the First has gone well this year. I'm looking forward to next week.

Beside my NaNo itself, I've been keeping a little writing journal in a separate document. I keep track of the word count goal, where I'm at, and how much I write each day. Also I've been recording story plot events, my favorite scene of the day, my favorite bit of writing of the day, something that happened 'in the real world' for each day, and what I'm looking forward to the next day. I keep the entries pretty brief, because I want to focus on the writing.

Here's an example from the first day of NaNo:

Day 1

How Many Words Today: 2,810
Word Count Goal: 2,334
Complete Word Count: 2,810
Favorite Written Bit Today:
Kar Gunt read again over his shoulder.
Heron slammed the book shut and let it fall into his lap. He glared at his prison guard. “You need a hobby.”
Favorite Scene Today: Heron’s first meeting with Creature.
Note to Self…: Should really have written more to get ahead in word count.
Current Favorite Character and One Reason I love them: Creature (or Flee) the cat. I knew I wanted Libre to have a pet or mechanical one, but I did not expect Creature, and I love the humorous bit of tension he adds to the story.
A Lesson Learned: The word ‘unfortunately’ is hard to type when you are not looking and in a hurry.
Story Plot Points: Introduction of Kar Gunt and mention of Reise’s leaving of the village and the members of the Company.
…In Life Today: Orchestra day, which means a long day and a hard one to get any writing done. It was lunch time before I wrote a single thing. Got to see my sister.
Got Through Today With…: The idea that it was only the first day and I have plenty of time left to write. Also pizza. And skittles.
Hoping for Tomorrow…: A much larger word count for the day to set me ahead. I always like to have that cushion I can fall back on if needed.

Hope everyone else's NaNo Projects are flourishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment